What is a House Concert?
A house concert is exactly what it sounds like: a gathering of friends in your living room, basement, backyard, deck etc. with live music, and often food, drinks, and conversation. House concerts are a great way for the artist and audience to get acquainted on a more personal level, thus providing a one of a kind experience!
1. I don’t have a big house. Can I still host a concert?
Absolutely! These shows are meant to be intimate and it could be a fun time trying to get creative with the space available!
2. How many people are expected?
Typically numbers range anywhere from 20-50 people. The beauty of a house concert is that it is purposely more intimate and focuses on quality over quantity. It does not hurt to invite an extra 3-5 people as there will always be cancellations.
3. How much does it cost to host or attend?
There is absolutely zero cost to host a house concert. There is a usual recommended donation of $10-20 to attend. Sometimes shows are pay what you can, other times it's a set fee. Depending on how the artist and host choose to go about it, full or partial payment can be collected upfront prior to the show, or collected at the door. Sometimes the host may choose to front the cost as a treat for their guests. The money collected goes directly to the artist and helps them continue a sustainable career in music.
4. What do I have to do?
The beauty of house concerts is that they are low stress. Once we agree on a date, we can talk about a start time. You can then invite and reach out to your network of friends, neighbours, coworkers etc. It is up to you if you wish to provide munchies or drinks. You can turn it into a BYOB or encourage guests to bring a dish and turn it into a potluck! However way you want to host is up to you. In the end, we want this to be an enjoyable evening for everybody! I will be in charge of the set up and equipment (mainly acoustic guitar and mic).
6. I don't know about having strangers in my house.
This is a very valid concern! House concerts are typically invite only. Normally the host will have a list of attendees that they already know personally. I will NEVER post addresses online. If you choose to do a Facebook event (not recommended I will explain why at the end) please make sure to make the event private.
Every now and then someone not on the list may want to attend, I will run it by you first. If you’d rather keep it a closed event, then no problem. It’s your house :)
7. What happens during a house concert?
I love to give individuals a mingling hour. During this time people are free to visit, grab food, walk around etc. This will happen for the first 30-45 mins prior to show time. The music will start a 8 pm SHARP. I will play two 40 min sets with a 15-20 min refuel/stretch/bathroom break in between. Ideally the show should wrap up right before 10 pm. If there are alternate times that will work best, I am more than happy to accommodate and work with you.
8. What are your personal expectations?
One of the things I love about house concerts, is that I can share and connect my stories with individuals. I love having the ability to interact with my audience and take them with me. In my experience, I find this best only happens when the audience is a 100% listening room. I have played in public venues where the noise level was too loud and I could not connect with the audience. That was not a very enjoyable experience.
- Please note that although Facebook events are convenient, they are not always reliable. We all know of that one person who enthusiastically says "YES!" upon initial invite but something conveniently always "comes up" the day of. It is best to get a verbal or direct confirmation (phone, email, in person) if possible. You can even make it fun and old school by handing out physical invitations! Make sure that your guests are RSVP'd and send out a reminder at least 1-2 weeks prior. Lastly please do not hesitate to invite 3-5 extra people or have a standby list. This shall come in handy as there will always be a cancellation.
- Please have guests arrive on time and remind them to be respectful of your home :)
- My shows are recommended for an audience of 12+ as much as children are cute and adored, it may be difficult for young kids to sit for a period of time. I'm sure they will find this boring anyways. Please keep in mind that this is a listening and sit down show therefore; use your best judgement when deciding whether or not to include your children in this experience.
- Enjoy yourself!
9. Ok, this sounds amazing! What’s next?
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s have a house concert! If there is anything else I missed or that you still had questions about then please do not hesitate to reach out to me :)